Home Electrical Dangers To Avoid

Homeowners are always on the lookout for electrical dangers hidden outside and inside their homes. Protecting the safety and health of their family is their number one priority. Our homes should be a safe haven and not a threat. The most commonly overlooked danger, is failure to prevent home electrical problems from worsening. It can cause minor and major accidents, such as, property damage, electrocution and house fire.

Accidents may be unexpected but they can be prevented. There are signs that may warn you about electrical dangers in your home. It is highly helpful for you to be able to know what, where and how to look for possible problems with your electrical system.

  1. Check The Circuit Breakers

The circuit breaker is designed to trip when a circuit inside you home overloads. Shut Off the electrical supply to prevent your wires from overheating, which is an electrical danger that can cause fire in your home. Simple trip overload causes occasional trips. But old circuit breakers can malfunction and you may experience trips regularly.

Always be careful when working with an electrical panel. Even when the main breakers are turned off, the panel still has power going into it. If you are to replace a circuit breaker or fuse, don’t replace them with one that has higher rating. It can cause it to overheat and catch fire.

  1. Hot Fixtures

Check the temperature of your fixtures on your walls or ceilings. See if they are warm or hot to the touch even when the switch is turned off. This may be caused by poor insulation or other problems. Use light bulbs that has the recommended wattage. Overheated light fixtures are fire hazards.

You may want to opt for LED or CFL bulbs to be safe. They do not produce as much heat compared to regular light bulbs. This will lower the electrical danger in your home.

  1. Electrical Sparks

Burning odor or sparks emitting from electric outlets or switches is an electrical danger in your home and needs an immediate action. If it happens, turn off the power from your panel. Call an electrician to check and assess the intensity of your problem. You may need repairs on wiring or other equipment. At times, it would just be caused by faulty devices or an overload. But other times, it can be very serious and might result to electric fire.

You should always call for professionals to take care of your problems with electricity, as it is very dangerous to handle them on your own. On top of that, why not purchase Home Insurance to protect your house and family from unexpected events? Get it from the best provider in your area. At Filer Insurance, Inc., we do our best in making sure that our clients are well-protected with affordable and comprehensive policies. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (305) 270-2100 or Click Here to request a free quote.

facebook logo linkLike Us On Facebook!