If you have ever wondered why you need car insurance, it’s because you are not protecting yourself financially without it. Cars can be damaged or stolen, costing money to be repaired or replaced. Accidents can occur with bodily injury to you, your passengers and people in the other car. Medical bills can be very expensive and a lawsuit from another injured party can cost even more. The following are personal auto insurance coverages you can, or should, have in your car insurance policy.
- Liability Coverage: Liability coverage covers bodily injury to others and property damage to others if you are at fault in an accident. Bodily injury pays others’ medical costs. It can also pay injured parties’ lost wages and your legal expenses if a lawsuit is brought against you due to an accident.
- Comprehensive (Other Than Collision) Coverage: This helps pay for damage to your vehicle that is not caused by a collision. Examples are: damage or loss due to theft, vandalism, falling objects, fire, storms, flood, and certain other natural disasters.
- Collision Coverage: This helps pay for damage to your vehicle if you hit another vehicle, another vehicle hits you or your vehicle rolls over. Collision coverage can be a required part of your car insurance coverage if your vehicle is financed or leased.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Assists in paying for damages to your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident by an underinsured, uninsured or unidentified driver. It can also help pay your medical costs and your passengers’ medical costs if an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver results in injury. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage may also pay for lost wages and other damages.
- Medical Expenses: This can help pay medical costs for you and your passengers in the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP is a statutory coverage which provides medical, disability and death benefits for persons injured in or by insured’s vehicles, without regard to fault. Named insureds and their family members are also covered for injuries in or by the vehicles of others.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: If your car cannot be driven due to an at-fault accident or comprehensive claim, this helps pay for your rental car or other transportation (such as a bus or subway).
- Towing and Labor: When a vehicle with car insurance coverage is disabled this can reimburse you for towing and roadside assistance charges. Typical services include: battery jump-starting, tire changing and locksmiths.
Personal auto insurance coverage can vary from state to state so it is highly recommended to know what your options are. If you have any questions or want to learn more about auto insurance, please give us a call at 305-270-2100.
At Filer Insurance, Inc., we have been providing Home, Auto and Business Insurance in Miami and South Florida since 1919. We would very much like to have you as one of our customers. Please give us call or come by our office for a free quote on your insurance.